Home Occupation Permits

Home Occupation permits are intended to provide for "commercial uses" associated with a residence in those cases where that use will clearly not alter the character or the appearance of the residential environment. Click here for Home Occupation Permit Application.

Permitted Home Occupations:

  • Office uses, when the residence is used for purposes of receiving mail, telephone calls and bookkeeping.
  • Office uses such as, but no limited to gardening, contracting, consulting and sales.
  • Professional occupations such as as real estate, insurance, law and medical, when in a residence is used only for bookkeeping and all business activities with personal contact with clients and or patients are done at a different location.

Prohibited Home Occupations:

  • Businesses such as, but are not limited to beauty shops, machine shops, repair of motor vehicles and massage parlors.

What do I need before I start a Home Business?

  • Home Occupation Permit (HOP) The HOP may be obtained through the Community Development Department. There is a one time fee of fifty (50) dollars for the permit and a fourteen (14) day review period.
  • Floor Plan One (1) copy of a complete floor plan of your residence indicating the location and size of your office.
  • Letter of Intent This letter must clearly explain the nature of your business. Not all home-based businesses will qualify for a Home Occupation Permit.
  • Business License A business license may be obtained through the Finance Department. There is an annual fee for the license that is based on your gross annual receipts.

Forms And Materials

Business Resources

Click below for links to community resources to assist businesses.

Grand Terrace Chamber of Commerce

Doing Business With The City Of Grand Terrace

Current Bid Opportunities

Notice Inviting Bids/RFPs